FIVE Aspects of Marketing You Need to Know
Many people assume that advertising and marketing are the same thing. And they are confused where sales falls in the equation.
In fact, marketing has FIVE key components…
I found this tiny article in a print newsletter called The BBB News by the Better Business Bureau, May 2006, that explains marketing and its FIVE fundamentals. (Author unknown)
[Tweet “Marketing has FIVE fundamentals. #InfluenceFIVE”]
Actually, “sales” is just one component of marketing. But let me explain a little further, using a little imagery.
1. ADVERTISING: If the circus comes to town and you paint a sign saying. “Circus is coming to the Fairgrounds Sunday,” that’s Advertising.
2. PROMOTION: If you put the sign on the back of an elephant and walk him through the town, that’s a Promotion.
3. SALES: If the elephant convinces people in town to attend the circus, that’s Sales.
4. PUBLICITY: If the elephant walks through the mayor’s flowerbed, that’s Publicity.
5. PUBLIC RELATIONS: If you can get the mayor to laugh about it, that’s Public Relations.
Once you’re aware that marketing is an umbrella encompassing several elements for the purpose of getting someone to use your product or service, you’ll want to incorporate all of its elements into your online marketing plan.
I have found this makes a great intro to sales and marketing talks, as it breaks the ice with a little bit of poignant humor.